Reasons I have resigned, quit or was let go of a job.
I thought I’d share this. I get the feeling, we don’t talk openly about it. Not that we should. Quite the opposite. Why share then? I hope people will see that leaving a role is part of life and there is nothing more to it.
I believe it’s inappropriate to ask this question, it won’t get you any meaningful answers and it may lead to awkward conversations and I do mean as part of an interview.
So here are some of the reasons:
- No room for personal development and future growth.
- Not a good culture fit.
- Politics, corporate structure, didn’t care enough at that point.
- Change in technical direction, management style that meant engineering would have a lesser role. Wasn’t willing to go down that path.
- Not supported enough, change in business priorities.
- The writing on the wall lead 3 people to resign in the same week.
- Wasn’t commited enough or “loyal” to the company, I think?